[ExI] The top secret military research programs we don't get to hear about (was: working memory implant! wow!)

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jun 23 15:43:29 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl

>...And it's only going to get worse. Unless we outlaw this
obsessive-compulsive data collection...Eugen* Leitl

But if we outlaw obsessive-compulsive data collection, only
obsessive-compulsive outlaws will collect data.

Furthermore, it will make the collected data more valuable, which will
compel even the non-obsessive to collect data.

An alternate strategy is to figure out ways to mess up databases by
cluttering it with phony signals.  I can think of a hundred ways to do this.
We could easily degrade the signal strength to make the databases nearly
worthless.  If you go into Spokeo or one of the many equivalents, you can
see the information collected there is plentiful but of questionable
accuracy.