[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jun 29 08:57:40 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 02:49:18PM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:

> Well, all I can say that is "definite" is that the above statement is
> definitely garbage.  ;-)

It would help if you realize that there are juste a few GBytes
of memory with some 10 GByte/s bandwidth in a current PC.
This only applies to streaming, random access is much, much
worse. Graphics accelerators only add an order of magnitude.

> Until you understand what is involved in the mechanisms of intelligence,

I undestand enough of neuroscience to know that it currently
takes the whole Earth's hardware to match what the space
between your ears does.

> you are in no position to make such a definitive statement.

Would you have said an insect, you might have had a point. I would
still disagree, but I would not have said definite.