[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 16:12:28 UTC 2011

On 29 June 2011 03:40, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:
> The computational power required to defeat Kasparov in '96 is many
> orders of magnitude above the computational power required to play
> chess at that same level now.

Mmhhh. What defeated Kasparov was a program, not a computer. The
computer merely offered sufficient power to choose moves in the time
required.

If we free Kasparov's opponent from tournament rules regarding time,
and we execute this very program on *anything*, including a Chinese
Room or a Turing machine or a Babbage engine or 30.000 slaves playing
logic circuits in a plain, the end result would not change.

--
Stefano Vaj