[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jun 30 01:21:12 UTC 2011

On 06/28/2011 06:40 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> 2011/6/28 Samantha Atkins<sjatkins at mac.com>:
>> Are you sure?  Given the known average speed and other performance
>> characteristics of ordinary PCs (and their OS) and any particular model of
>> an AGI it should be quite possible to say pretty definitively whether that
>> model can be usefully realized on that hardware.  This is an engineering
>> task that does not require deep definitive knowledge of what mechanisms are
>> capable of producing intelligence.
> Ok, Samantha, if you think this is possible, then you go first... :-)

Certainly it is possible to say whether or not a given design will have
reasonable performance characteristics on particular computer of known
configuration.  The reverse contention is a request to prove a negative,
i.e., that there is no possible AGI design that can run on a given
machine.  That is a game I wouldn't want to play.   If on the other hand
someone asserts that there is some plausible AGI design that will run on
acceptably on an "average PC" then the burden of proof is on them to
provide such a design as only an instance proof would be conclusive.

- samantha