[ExI] Serious topic

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Mar 1 11:49:48 UTC 2011

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 09:10:27PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:
>

>> Can we persuade governments to incentivise knowledge workers to stay
>> home and telecommute?  Once I can do my job without the daily to/from
>>

> Here's an infrastructure problem, again. In order to make
> telepresence happen you need to roll out symmetric high-bandwidth
> connections, which basically means laying ducts and pulling
> fiber (owned by municipalities, operated by contracting companies),
> plus provide enough backbone capacity.

While this is a fairly costly investment, it is not that extreme as
infrastructure goes.

I think a bigger problem is that we need the right kind of software
framing to make it work socially. Telecommuting in isolation is likely
not just understimulating, it misses a lot of the important social cues
and activities that go on at a job (both the good and the bad). As long
as these cannot be done through telecommuting it will only happen when
the cost benefits are great, the job is by its nature less social, or
the employees are low-status enough to be forced into whatever social
scheme admin thinks works (i.e. making telecommuting a mark of low
social standing, making everybody else try to avoid it). A positive
possibility is new business models that can make use of the new social
interactions in the medium, but we do not know if or when such models
appear.

So my prediction is that telecommuting is going to remain niche until
the design of the interactions allows enough social interaction, or
somebody figures out an entirely different way of organizing "work"
(then things will quickly take off on their own). Both are design/idea
questions and hence hard to predict (rare breakthroughs, perhaps Poisson
distributed - variance is equal to expectation value), while progress in
hardware is relatively smooth. Better hardware increases the chance of
getting something, but it does not ensure it.

Still, I think this is something greens should be pushing for rather
strongly. Reducing businesspeople crossing the Atlantic for pointless
meetings has a decent environmental effect - but the substitute must be
able to have the same level of social signalling as a transcontinental
trip that shows that This Meeting Is Important.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute