[ExI] Scanners live in vain

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Mar 1 22:47:33 UTC 2011

On 3/1/2011 12:29 PM, spike wrote:

>> It just isn't clear to me why you wouldn't just buy something newer.
They are cheap enough.

>...Because the machine are *right here in front of me* and look perfectly
healthy...

Ja.  Did you already plug it in to see if it would work on USian 240Vpower?
Some electronics are bi.  If you had a machine built for 50 Hz and you run
it at 60, it rectifies the AC in either case, so it might be able to deal
with slightly higher power input from the 60 Hz.  Regarding the 240, if you
have your house wired for an electric dryer, those usually have a 240V
output.

>...Another answer: I don't (can't) drive (eyesight too fucked up), and I
live in downtown San Antonio where all the stores are in malls tens of miles
away beside freeways...

Malls?  We still have those things?  I remember malls.  Haven't been to one
in several years.

>... Yes, I can buy stuff online without actually inspecting it, and hope
for the best, but that's about it...Damien Broderick

Ja.  For electronics that works pretty well.  Yesterday my wife bought a
wireless scanner/printer/fax machine online for 115 bucks.  With the Libyan
situation, it costs durn near that much to crank up her Detroit and drive to
the nearest shopping mall.  I confess I don't know where the nearest
shopping mall is located these days.  I see a lot of former malls with empty
shops and tumbleweeds blowing thru the parking lots.  We now buy everything
over the internet, even shoes.  As soon as one can buy sex over the
internet, all bricks and mortar marketing is dead.