[ExI] Are Cities Dead? (was Re: moving bits, not butts)

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 2 04:22:22 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
> Cities are also good for enabling you to live a mile away from your
> neighbor.  If the population was evenly spread over the Earth's land
> surface in a square grid, there'd be a person every 140 meters.

Using the entire surface area to get spherical surface area, dividing by
6 billion and multiplying by 0.30 which is the percentage of land I get over
25 km between people.  This is a lot more believable than a person every 140
meters.

- samantha

Using the .3 factor I am getting 140 meters between each person.

BOTECs:

Earth radius about 6370 km, so surface area , 4 pi R^2 = 5E14 m^2,

0.3 of that is dry land, so 1.5E14 m^2 divided by 7E9 is about 2E4 m^2 per
person or about 140 meters between each person.

Oy that's a lot of people.  I am surprised this old planet can feed all of
us.