[ExI] asteroid defense was RE: libertarian (asteroid) defense

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Mar 2 16:04:28 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
>... it just hit me that biofuels are also disastrous from an asteroid
damage perspective...

It just hit you.  {8^D  It just hit too.

>...Biofuels have been a spectacular disaster because they tie food
production and fuel production together. Since there is more money in
selling fuel than food (especially given current oil prices) that means a
lot of edible calories get turned into fuel. And since a lot of well-meaning
subsidies for "green" energy have been added, rich countries are now
subsidising the distortion. Developing countries sell their calories north,
and northern farmers now have yet another subsidy to efficiently fight to
keep beside the usual ones. So in this case, trying to be green has
significantly increased food prices.

>...To get back to the theme of the thread, it just hit me that biofuels are
also disastrous from an asteroid damage perspective: an impact winter, and
we will neither have food, nor fuel. -- Anders Sandberg

Thanks Anders.  This post was an excellent example of the kinds of reasoning
that has kept me reading ExI-chat for 15 years: the occasional insightful
jewel of wisdom that spawns a thousand ideas.