[ExI] Neutrino interaction web

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Thu Mar 3 19:18:15 UTC 2011

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> I had an idea for a physics experiment, which I'm sure there are probably
> holes with.  I suspect someone on this list can point them out.
>
> Assume subatomic manipulators.  (So, this can't be done with today's tech.)
>
> Start with a triangle of 3 carbon atoms, each bonded to the other two.  (Other
> configurations are possible, but this is the simplest.)
>
> Attach a line of neutrons from each nucleus to the centerpoint of the triangle,
> each neutron bound by the strong force to its neighbors.  Making the lines
> without them crumpling up would be a trick, but once the lines exist and
> connect, each line would pull on the other two to prevent them from simply
> collapsing (though they might pull the carbon atoms closer than they would
> otherwise be).
>
> Then connect points on these lines with further lines of neutrons, making a
> spider web.  I suspect you couldn't make a solid sheet of neutrons without
> some active way to prevent them from simply collapsing into a ball - but
> this way, you could get something close.
>
> The end result would, among other things, be able to present a barrier to
> neutrinos - possibly a way to make use of the vast solar wind of them
> passing through us every second, as a (very tiny, albeit tesselatable: just
> arrange the carbon atoms in a crystal sheet) sail getting a mostly constant
> wind.  (Indeed, given the volume of this wind, I suspect that would be the
> primary use for such a device at first.)
>
> So, what am I overlooking that would cause this to fail?

The forces holding the three carbon atoms APART are electromagnetic.

The forces pulling the neutrons into a line are STRONG NUCLEAR.

The ratio between these two is about a factor 100, depending how you
calculate it.

So the triangle would insantly collapse.

And also the neutrons cannot be held to one another by the Strong force:
  you would need protons to make the force stable.

Richard Loosemore