[ExI] Extrope Robert Bradbury Has Died

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 05:13:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:20 PM,  Artillo <artillo at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is truly a shame to lose such a great intellect and contributor and
> still so young. Sad day for us all.

Every time a mind, especially a great one like Robert, is lost we are
all poorer because our future has less potential to be fun.

We need to stem the loss, do something to keep such loses from being permanent.

Who do you know that (if they died tomorrow) it would be a loss for
the extropian/transhumanist/high tech community?

It seems to me that it would be worth maintaining a Facebook like data
base of people who we want to exist in post singularity world even if
they die before the singularity.  Finding they were on this list might
be more effective than talking to them about the topic.  (At least *I*
have had no luck with that approach.)

We need the meme to become popular that it is selfish to die without
being suspended, it's like burning a library of books of a person's
experiences.

If enough friends want them to be around in the indefinite future,
then perhaps we can shame them into agreeing to be suspended if and
when they need it.

This really should go in a data base or wiki, but who do you think
would be a loss for the community if they were not suspended when they
need it?

I will start with two.

Freeman Dyson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeman_dyson
Ted Nelson, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nelson

I have spoken to both of them about suspension and they have both
rejected it.  I have no idea if they could be swayed by a long list of
people asking them to reconsider, but it seems to me to be worth a
try.

Keith Henson

PS.  If there is someone out there who would like to set up a "people
we would like to have around in the future" data base or wiki, let me
know.