[ExI] Neutrino interaction web

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Mar 5 12:00:19 UTC 2011

Adrian Tymes wrote:
>> Worse, if two particles have no interactions allowed
>>

> Neutrons and neutrinos do interact gravitationally and through the strong
> nuclear force, to my understanding.  Just not electromagnetically.

As far as I know leptons do not feel the strong nuclear force. So you
would have to use the weak or gravitational.

Check out
http://cupp.oulu.fi/neutrino/nd-cross.html
It has the cross sections for various neutrino reactions. The typical
cross section for your neutron-rich sheet is 9.3×10^-48 m^2 per MeV of
neutrino energy. So if you need about 10^47 neutrons per square meter to
have a solid chance of catching the neutrino. That sheet would weigh
1.8×10^20 kg, a biggish asteroid mass. You can scale it down if you want
to only catch the high energy neutrinos, of course. Trying to get the
cosmic background neutrinos with energy 1.7×10−4 eV on the other hand,
would require an insanely dense sheet, probably running afoul of the
Schwarzschild limit.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute