[ExI] Cryonics dinners

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Mar 12 10:38:22 UTC 2011

Here is a new tradition we have started in Oxford (if you do something
twice in Britain it is a tradition, and must be continued until the end
of time): every time someone newly signed up gets their cryonics
bracelet (or similar thing) we (the other cryonicists) invite them to a
celebratory dinner at some suitably posh restaurant. A mild motivator,
but most importantly a way of building a social cluster.

We are getting a nice little cluster of people signed up over here; four
that I know of, two at early stages of signing up and at least one
likely to do it sooner or later. Creating a supportive social community
seems to produce very good feedback effects - both for helping motivate
the sign-up process, giving advice and to help keep track of each
other's state. It is of course easier in a small, dense location like
Oxford.

Now I really ought to get working on that paper on the ethics of cryonics.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute