[ExI] Which nootropics work best?

Max More max at maxmore.com
Sun Mar 13 20:02:56 UTC 2011

I'm not certain my brain is working as sharply as it was 20 years ago. At
the same time, I have to deal with decisions that are more weighty in their
ramifications than they were 20 years ago. Of course I'm doing my best to
optimize my nutrition and exercise, which should be good for my neurological
function. However, I'd like to draw on the probably extensive knowledge of
everyone on this email list to get suggestions on currently-available
cognition-enhancing drugs (that lack significant undesirable side-effects,
i.e. nootropics). My knowledge of these is a bit dated, so I'm interested in
suggestions based on recent as well as older research.

For the record, I've tried several purported cognitive enhancers in the
past. These include: vasopressin nasal spray, reputed to improve memory
(though I didn't --15 to 20 years ago -- notice any substantial difference);
hydergine (don't recall noticing a significant difference); provigil
(definitely reduced need for sleep, but unsure whether it improved
cogition); caffeine (no detectable difference, probably due to habituation);
piracetam (definite improvement, but only at very high doses).

I'd appreciate any pointers to reasonably current research on cognitive
enhancers, and even personal experiences, and pointers to evidence-based web
resources.

--- Max

--
Max More