[ExI] Which nootropics work best?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Mar 15 12:13:54 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-14 22:28, Bryan Bishop wrote:
> I don't think extropy-chat has the critical mass of nootropic knowledge
> any more. From what I've read in the responses, there's been the
> standard drugs and pills mentioned. Immortality Institute's forum has a
> ridiculous amount of nootropics-related activity; from what I can tell,
> this might be due to a lower average age of their posters and more
> disposable income-- some of their regiments seem to be upwards $50/day
> in some cases.

But maybe that is also because we do a bit more critical thinking?

A regimen of lots of pills makes sense if you think you know how they
are going to interact, or you have reason to think the combination gives
you such an edge that it is worth the risk and inconvenience. But the
real evidence for most of the enhancers discussed there is slim - sure,
you can always find a few Pubmed abstracts that look good, but actual
solid evidence based medicine is very scarce for cognitive enhancers.
There will be significant placebo effects. Since normal medications and
supplements have interactions and side effects we should expect them for
the enhancers too.

Just look at an apparently well-regarded post like
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/36691-ten-months-of-research-condensed-a-total-newbies-guide-to-nootropics/
It is crammed with claims that are problematic because they are
unsupported (where is the evidence for the safety of chronic use?) or
wrong (no, increasing ACh levels does not do the same thing as
inhibiting AChE!) This is a mixture of wishful thinking and guesswork.
Not necessarily wrong, but seriously overconfident.

I have collected a library of papers on cognitive enhancement, and I
think that only sugar and *maybe* caffeine has good enough data to pass
a Cochrane review. Stimulants could probably pass for their stimulating
effects (duh) but proper characterization of their cognitive enhancing
functions is limited. This is of course demanding a high level of
evidence, but I'd rather do that than waste money, time and risk on
something that is unlikely to give an enormous benefit even if it works
as advertised.

Check out
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/subtopics/56.html
In particular
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab006220.html (memory training +)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005381.html (exercise +)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005379.html (PUFA vs dementia -?)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003122.html (HRT vs dementia -)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab005993.html (Procaine -)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004514.html (B12 vs dementia -)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab006221.html (DHEA -)
http://www2.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003120.html (Ginkgo vs dementia -)

Not too encouraging, but then again, most medicine is not too
encouraging once you start to scrutinize it closely.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute