[ExI] Two Japanese reactors on red alert

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Tue Mar 15 14:51:51 UTC 2011

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 09:56:59AM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:
>> On paper, great.
>>
>> On the ground, as thin as paper.
>
> You sound surprised.

I sound ... frustrated, and let down.

These things are not (it turns out) about physics and engineering, they
are about organizational psychology, and politics.

Too often, those who focus on the benefits of nuclear power want to talk
about all the nice, easy-to-compute aspects of the situation (i.e. the
physics).  The psychology and the politics, not so much.

I know (I am pretty sure) that nuclear reactors can be designed so that
they are safe.  The real question is not how to do this against the
Mother Nature adversary, but against the Organizational Complacency and
Political Stupidity adversary.

I don't want to hear about the Obama administration loosening up the
reins on the nuclear industry in the U.S., I want to hear about them
taking a different attitude to the problem itself.

Richard Loosemore