[ExI] Two Japanese reactors on red alert

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Mar 15 17:19:48 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 06:02:21PM +0100, Mirco Romanato wrote:

> This incident will be forgotten in a few months.
> The Berlusconi government, here, will not stop their planned return to
> nuclear power.

This Berlusconi thing is most curious. Are you sure you don't
want to repeat the administration the Duce treatment?
It would do him some good.

http://www.energyefficiencynews.com/i/3198/

> Germany will not back down, because without nuclear power generators
> there will not be electricity to run factories and homes.

You know, when they switched off these 7 nuclear reactors it's
because they knew they could afford to.

> As soon as the people will be without electric power or their electric
> bill will be too high (and industries will shut down because they can
> not afford the same bills) the political will will disappear.

Do look at the numbers.

> Fears the fridge stop working beat the fear of nuclear power.

It is interesting that nobody is mentioning that electricity as
is doesn't even begin to address the question of missing fossil
liquids and solids. Humanity is definitely overrated.

> I suggest this:
> People in their utility bills sign if they want buy nuclear power or
> solar, hydro, whatever. Then they pay for what they get without the
> nuclear and coal power subsiding the others.

I've switched my electricity provider to 100% renewable -- saves
me 200 EUR annually. I agree that all energy subsidies should be
cut -- and I mean *all* of them. No more sweeping up things under
the carpet. Do the whole life cycle.