[ExI] Nootropics, paleo, and optimization

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Wed Mar 16 10:32:51 UTC 2011

In reference to: "Just look at an apparently well-regarded post like
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/36691-ten-months-of-research-condensed-a-total-newbies-guide-to-nootropics/
"

Much of his supplementation is choline and B vitamins...each of which
are found in profusion in a paleo diet containing lots of red meat and
eggs.  (And especially if you're consuming liver and other organ meats.)
  Eggs are a great source of choline, red meat is a great source of B
vitamins -- and liver is basically a big vitamin pill.  Plus, you're
also eating fatty fish and supplementing EPA and DHA if you're on a
paleo diet...and you can get lots of phosphatidylserine from mackerel,
tuna, and organ meats.  There's even a meaningful quantity in regular beef.

So I think much of that supplement regime is of doubtful utility to
someone already eating paleo.  Hint: it is likely that the natural human
diet is replete with the nutrients necessary for optimal function.

I have some more thoughts on that -- and Max apparently has an uncanny
ability to read and comment on a post BEFORE I post the link:
http://www.gnolls.org/947/live-now-live-later-paleo-diet-paleo-life/

As a final note, I'll point out that there is evidence that the brain
runs more efficiently on ketones than on glucose.  If you want to
experiment with this, the Jaminets do a good job of coming up with a
reasonable one that isn't totally nutritionally deficient (like the
formulas given to epileptic kids):
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2479
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2638

JS