[ExI] note from a foaf in japan

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Mar 20 11:57:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 12:12:04AM -0700, F. C. Moulton wrote:

> Silicon Valley is as has already been pointed out a prime earthquake
> country.  It is not uncommon for people here to have food and water
> stored.  I urge people to have two weeks worth at a minimum.   It is not

Water is a bit difficult to store properly, though nanosilver/ozone
and UV irradiation helps. Modern nanopore filters are pretty good
though, and in a pinch you can just keep a large rainwater tank,
and sterilize by means of filling and putting clean PET bottles on
the roof for 1-2 days into direct sunlight.

> that difficult.  Just go to Costco and get four of the 8 can packs of
> Progresso or similar brand chicken soup.  That gives you 32 cans of soup
> which will last one person for more that two weeks at a rate of two cans

Dehydrated stuff is good, but you could also just buy beans and brown
rice and plant oil etc. on a large scale, and have a rice cooker (assuming
you have some kWp of PV power) or use a gas burner with lots of propane
cartridges. Don't forget multivitamines and minerals, these can be
bought in bulk (e.g. LEF) and have almost infinite shelf half life.

> per day.  If you are vegetarian then you might consider getting the
> Amy's Minestrone and Lintel packs.   It might be a very boring diet but
> it will keep you alive and it is the kind of thing you can rotate

Even basic cooking skills and basic knowledge of human diet should
keep you running for up to a year with minimum money spent.
Unfortunately, properly storing grains and legumes requires
airtight sealing of plastic drums, with nitrogen blanket and
oxygen absorbers.

> through your normal eating habits it does not go bad.  Yes I know that
> canned soup is not nutritionally perfect but it will keep you from
> starving.  Plus keep some walnuts and chocolate on hand. Eat soup and
> take vitamin and fish oil supplements and eat some nuts and chocolate
> and you can live for two weeks; you might lose a few pounds but you will
> be alive.  The main thing is to make sure you have sufficient water
> because water mains can break in a quake.  Also do not let your gas tank
> get below half full.   If you need to get out and the roads are clear
> the average car can go at least a 100 miles down the highway on a half
> tank of gas.

Unfortunately gasoline doesn't store well, diesel is probably different.
You can run a diesel on heating-grade (not ship diesel) oil in a pinch.