[ExI] Food on hand was note from a foaf

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 15:24:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 5:00 AM,  Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

snip

> Apart from doomers, and strange cults, I doubt anyone has
> more than a couple days worth of food in the larder anywhere
> in the western world.

That's actually a very interesting question.  I know people who store
as much as a year, and some people who (at least in the past) ate out
all the time and had *no* food at home whatsoever.  Bizarre to open a
refrigerator and see one lonely can of soda pop.

California's recommendation is two weeks of food and water because
they figure it will take that long for outside help to get into the
worst hit areas.

I wonder if there has been a survey to see how equipped people really are?

It's really not that hard to store water, old two liter soda pop
bottles are likely to survive any level of shaking.

If probably differs wildly with location.  Some kitchens in NYC are so
small that people feel they have to shop every day.

Re heating with wood, I did that for three years.  Burned 6-9 tons of
wood, maybe more.

Keith