[ExI] rebuilding a saturn v today

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Mar 26 22:34:07 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] rebuilding a saturn v today

On 26 March 2011 20:47, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> I think it is safe to say most people no longer look to space as the
final frontier...

>...Cultural decadence and slowing of change not having any part at all in
such POV? And yet falling back on "inner space" and complaining about the
technical hardship and/or pointlessness of previous goals is hardly a new
phenomenon in human history...-- Stefano Vaj

Cultural decadence has *everything* to do with it.

I am not arguing that the task is too difficult technically.  Clearly it
isn't.  I would argue that the chances are now remote of getting enough
money charging in the same direction.

Most governments will not be able to get that done.  The US government is
waaaay out of the running for that, and should be out of it anyway: they
accomplished it fifty years ago.  Now it must pay up.  China, maybe.  Before
we can do much with this however, we need to balance the energy budget.