[ExI] On Taubes And Toilets (was re: GCBC)

J. Stanton js_exi at gnolls.org
Tue May 3 19:38:32 UTC 2011

Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> What is funny is that I don't think you realize that Taubes would
> disagree with you.  He would argue that total calories don't matter
> and that lowering total caloric intake isn't useful.  He would claim
> that as a doctor, you have been brainwashed by the medical conspiracy
> establishment into believing this false lie about total calories
> being a good meter of anything.
>
> That conspiracy theory is what my statement was trying to dispute,
> not your scientific statement above.

Taubes spends two entire chapters in "Why We Get Fat" debunking that
specific misinterpretation.

Here's a damn funny article about it:
http://sparkofreason.blogspot.com/2011/01/on-taubes-and-toilets.html

"One of our toilets has been acting balky lately. Last night I went to
flush it and nothing happened. I started pondering on the possible
causes of this, and had a brief vision of a bunch of Ph.D's standing
around, stroking their chins and sagely examining the toilet through
glasses perched on the ends of their noses. After a few knowing glances
at each other, they pronounced: "From the First Law of Thermodynamics,
we know the problem with your toilet is that, at some point in the past,
less water came in than left!""

JS
http://www.gnolls.org