[ExI] Zero State & other 'splinter' transhumanist movements

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Wed May 4 11:09:19 UTC 2011

On 3 May 2011 21:00, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> > The two common values of all TX nodes are:
> > - Art and culture can contribute to transhumanism too (not just science &
> > engineering)
> > - Considered action is preferred over ungrounded philosophical
> conversations
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there room for someone who knows computer
> science and cares deeply about mental health, particularly the mental
> health of AGIs?

Hey Kelly -

Short version: Yes.

Longer version: My own background is in cognitive psychology, so I'd be the
first to want to define terms, warn of anthropomorphization, get to the
heart of what you're interested in, etc. That said, we will be (and to some
extent, already are) looking at various aspects of AI. Initial phase is
about recognizing and assessing issues, putting together written reports
that give a sense of where our resources will be best applied, and how. So,
at this stage, there is benefit in exploring a wide range of related issues,
just to see where our investigations take us.

I can imagine this issue being relevant to the work of a team with a wider
remit, or perhaps even as a theoretical research project in its own right,
if you felt like leading such a thing...? I say "theoretical" only because
we have no AIs with potential mental health issues (yet!), but the general
intention is that projects like this may yield valuable insights and
guidelines for practical projects to incorporate into their work.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy this post (no names) over to
the private ZS facebook group, so people can see the kinds of issues others
may be interested in pursuing.

Best,