[ExI] Farmville for real

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Wed May 4 12:14:50 UTC 2011

BillK wrote:
> Spike mentioned a project to allow Farmville players to try their
> skills on a real-life farm.
> A trial project is now starting up in the UK.
>
> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13276102>
> Quote:
> A National Trust farm is to be run by online subscribers voting on
> which crops to grow and livestock to rear.
> For a £30 annual fee, 10,000 farm followers will help manage Wimpole
> Home Farm, in Cambridgeshire.
> The National Trust says its MyFarm project aims to reconnect people
> with where their food comes from.
>
> It was partly inspired by the online Facebook game Farmville and
> follows the example of Ebbsfleet Football Club which is run on a
> similar basis. Decisions about the running of the team in Kent has
> been in the hands of MyFootballClub subscribers since 2008.
> ---------------------

We grew a substantial chunk of our vegetables from our own land last year.

It was great:  all we had to do was sit in the office and vote for which
crops to plant where, and, foom!, a few months later all that food
magically appeared.

Oh, and there were also 3,000 hours of sweat, backache, sunburn, bug
bites, mud, and rain to endure.  But, nah, apart from that....

;-)

Any Farmville fanatics on reading this list?  If you send me (um, let's
see, £30 annual fee, 10,000 farm followers...) £300,000 I promise we
will do it all again this year.

:-)

Richard Loosemore