[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:06:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Harvey Newstrom  wrote:
> Don't get me wrong.  I thought it was a useful discussion.  I just don't
> think we need to repeat it so soon, unless someone has something new to say.

Maybe Skeptic magazine has something new to say.........

<http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-05-04/>
Myths About Fat
and What to Do About It
by Harriet Hall

There is certainly no shortage of diet fads and weight loss myths. The
plethora of contradictory information can make it difficult for us to
distinguish between sound nutrition science and plain old nonsense. In
our second review of the year of Gary Taubes’ latest book Why We Get
Fat and What To Do About It (read the first review here), Harriet
Hall, M.D. (the Skepdoc) advises against jumping on any bandwagons.

Quote:
Diets are just tricks to get people to reduce total calorie intake,
and low-carb diets are no exception. A 2003 systematic review in the
Journal of the American Medical Association showed that weight loss on
low-carb diets was principally associated with decreased caloric
intake and increased diet duration, but not with reduced carbohydrate
content.