[ExI] buttload

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 5 17:53:51 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 10:31 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] buttload

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Anders Sandberg  wrote:
>> As far as I know, this is not entirely true. There are always some
>> words which are outside cultured discourse...

>...I was referring to f**k and c**t which were banned from dictionaries
from about 1800 to 1965.
(And there may be other words as well, but I've led a very sheltered
life)...

Ja.  These are words which ironically are now found in the written medium on
the internet written by people who never utter the terms.  I read everything
John Steinbeck ever wrote.  He used the F word exactly once in all that, in
a book called the Long Valley if I recall correctly, first published in
1938.  That was from the delightfully gritty earlier work of that brilliant
writer.  It's been 25 years, so I might be wrong on where that term was
used.

>...Etymology pretty much relies on analysing the written word and where
swear words are concerned you find entries like 'used in xxxxx in 1965, but
thought to be in common use since 1800s'  BillK

Speaking of which, check this:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/05/05/computer.kiss.device/index.htm
l?hpt=T2

You KNOW what comes next.  Whoever makes it to the market first with a
reasonably good set of internet enabled simugenitals will make a cubic
buttload of money.  Furthermore, no one will resent them for being rich.  I
have heard talk of this, but never actually seen it on the market.  Just to
be sure, perhaps I should go visit the local purveyor of such items.