[ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:26:52 UTC 2011

On 6 May 2011 08:23, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want a serious treatment of this subject, I highly recommend
> Love + Sex with Robots by David Levy. This book is not exactly for
> kids or anything, but it is a very serious visit into a weird corner
> of the future. David argues very convincingly that this WILL happen,
> and not as far out as most of us might think.
>
> I suspect someone very soon will combine robotics with the RealDoll,
> and create an extremely expensive, amazing device that will make the
> moral majority very uncomfortable.

This makes me think of the debate endlessly resurfacing on the
poorly-defined and somewhat contradictory idea "friendly AIs".

If a robot is bound to (behave as if he) be sexually attracted by you, you
are not likely to recognise it as a sexual partner rather than a
well-performing masturbatory device, same as you are not going to consider
as "intelligent" in the AGI sense a computer, no matter how efficient at
what it does, if his goals and motivs are not convincingly bio-like.

If he or she is not bound to (behave as if he) be sexually attracted by you,
there is little point in having one around just as a sex toy when your
chances are just the same with a fellow human being. Or perhaps better...
:-)

--
Stefano Vaj