[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sat May 7 19:59:51 UTC 2011

Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote,
> BillK <pharos at gmail.com> Quoted:
>
> > A 2003 systematic review in the
> > Journal of the American Medical Association showed that weight loss on
> > low-carb diets was principally associated with decreased caloric
> > intake and increased diet duration, but not with reduced carbohydrate
> > content.
>
> Um, What?
>
> Low-x is not associated with reduced x?
>
> What??

I think what is being referenced here is that studies showed that the
weight loss on various diets was 100% calculable based on reduced
calories.  It didn't matter if the reduced calorie diet was low-carb,
high-carb, low-fat, or high-fat.  Total calories in and out accounted
for all of the weight loss.  There was no difference between different
caloric sources.  Therefore, the conclusion is that low-carb diets only
work due to reduced caloric intake and increased diet duration, and not
due to the reduced percentage of carbohydrate in the diet.

--
Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP