[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sat May 7 20:21:06 UTC 2011

BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote,
> <http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-05-04/>
> Myths About Fat
> and What to Do About It
> by Harriet Hall
>
> There is certainly no shortage of diet fads and weight loss myths. The
> plethora of contradictory information can make it difficult for us to
> distinguish between sound nutrition science and plain old nonsense. In
> our second review of the year of Gary Taubes’ latest book Why We Get
> Fat and What To Do About It (read the first review here), Harriet
> Hall, M.D. (the Skepdoc) advises against jumping on any bandwagons.
>
> Quote:
> Diets are just tricks to get people to reduce total calorie intake,
> and low-carb diets are no exception. A 2003 systematic review in the
> Journal of the American Medical Association showed that weight loss on
> low-carb diets was principally associated with decreased caloric
> intake and increased diet duration, but not with reduced carbohydrate
> content.

This is 100% correct.  I love skeptics and science.  I strongly
recommend skeptical information:

- The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe <http://www.theskepticsguide.org/>
- Science-based Medicine <http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/>
- The James Randi Educational Foundation <http://www.randi.org/>
- QuackCast <http://moremark.squarespace.com/quackcast-home/>
- What's the Harm <http://whatstheharm.net/>
- Bad Astronomy <http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/>
- NeuroLogica Blog <http://theness.com/neurologicablog/>
- Pharyngula <http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula>
- Skeptoid <http://skeptoid.com/>
- and so many more

I wish there was more science and skepticism on this list, like in the
good old days.  There seems to be more and more pseudoscience and sloppy
thinking these days.

--
Harvey Newstrom, Security Consultant, <www.HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP CISA CISM CGEIT CSSLP CRISC CIFI NSA-IAM ISSAP ISSMP ISSPCS IBMCP