[ExI] Good Calories, Bad Calories

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon May 9 06:09:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Harvey Newstrom <mail at harveynewstrom.com>wrote:

> [snip].  So we are ending up rehashing the
> basic laws of physics to argue against these pseudoscience claims.

You say you've read Taubes' book. But comments like this suggest that you
have either not read big chunks of it, or filtered it out. Your earlier
comment about Taubes' supposedly violating the laws of thermodynamics
completely ignored his very direct treatment of this. Your claims of
pseudoscience are deeply disappointing and, frankly, shameful. What you mean
is that anyone who doesn't agree with your vegetarian views are using
pseudoscience.

This is deeply disappointing

--- max

> Imminently so.  Any diet that lowers total calories will work.

Yes, but for how long. You willfully ignore the utter failure of diets to
keep weight off. Any reduced calorie diet can remove fat, but almost
everyone regains it. A low-carb diet makes it much easier to maintain.

The whole simplistic idea that all that matters is calories consumed vs.
calories expended by exercise ignores all the other mechanisms by which
calories can be used up.

--
Max More
Strategic Philosopher