[ExI] Kiss Device (was Re: buttload)

spike spike66 at att.net
Mon May 9 21:23:55 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Samantha Atkins
Subject: Re: [ExI] Kiss Device (was Re: buttload)

On 05/06/2011 12:42 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM, Adrian Tymes

http://www.pcworld.com/article/213927/kinect_porn_game_lets_you_reach_out_an
d_tweak_someone.html

>> Or is that the lame demo you mentioned?
> Yup, that's the one. Do you disagree that it is lame?

>...That is about the dumbest device I have ever seen.  Wake me up when they
can wire our brains together close enough for intended touch (and so on)
to be actually felt  - samantha

Hmmm, wiring our brains together isn't on the immediate horizon.  But we can
imagine plenty of cool stuff that could be done now, ja?  Agreed this
kissing thing isn't it, but it suggests the next obvious step.

>...In the meantime 3D avatars, a bit of animation, imagination and a bit of
role play works well enough to be interesting.  :)

Perhaps but I am thinking of actual hardware to go along with the animation
and avatars.  It just seems like we have all the elements in place here, the
controls tech, the mechanical feedback devices, the transducers, the
bandwidth.  It again surprises me no one has successfully integrated all of
it to make a far more elaborate version of the tele-smoocher.  It wouldn't
be great, at least at first.  I can imagine a suit of sorts, with a number
of separately inflatable bladders to simulate a hand stroking a participant.
We have the Wii controllers, and the lightweight compact optical angular
rate sensors and so forth.

I better stop here, for every time I mention this, I find there are
companies doing this sort of thing, but I am so not hip I don't know about
it.

It occurred to me the other day that the reason this whole notion doesn't
appear to be going forward is that it just costs too much.  Anyone who has
the money for all this elaborate teledildonics could easily just hire a
bio-unit to take care of one's needs.  Humans are difficult competition in
that area.  Once I sat down and started trying to estimate the cost of
building a screwbot, it gets to into the five digit numbers very quickly,
not counting the unknown repair and maintenance costs.