[ExI] helping older people

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 10 15:23:49 UTC 2011

If you can endure the first couple minutes of this, the third minute has
some really interesting robotics notions, stuff I have been pondering for
years.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/living/2011/05/10/feyerick.mit.age.lab.cnn?
hpt=C2

Here's one I want to add, when we think of ways to help older people in our
society.  Go take some packaged food item from your freezer.  Go ahead, pick
anything in there.  You need only two pieces of information: how hot and how
long to cook, ja?  There's all this completely irrelevant information in
huge font, none of which anyone gives a rat's ass.  But look at where it
tells you the temperature to set the oven and how long to leave it in there.
That part is in microfilm.  They scream all this other nonsense, and whisper
the only thing anyone cares about.  I never had glasses, but now I need
reading glasses.  Most of the time I don't have them on my person.  So the
freezer packages hide from me the only thing on that package I care about.

Look around, you will find a hundred examples of failing or refusing to put
the relevant information in large font.  On your tires, you care about
exactly one piece of information, maximum pressure.  That is in microfilm
font.  The tire brand is in huge raised letters.  I don't care about that,
only the maximum pressure rating.

Continue on that theme.  Hotel shower, two bottles, sometimes three,
shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion.  They all look pretty similar.  In the
shower, you don't have your glasses.  So why are the identifiers in
microfilm?  Why couldn't they have a big first letter:  Shampoo  and
Conditioner?  And couldn't they make the freezer packages with all their
silly useless info on the front of the package, and the back of the package
with nothing but big black and white lettering

  450 for 35 min!  or

u-wave for 6 min!

Is that so hard?