[ExI] Farmville for real

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed May 11 10:27:10 UTC 2011

On 11 May 2011 04:53, Rafal Smigrodzki <rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>
>> semi-slave workers
>
> ### People who run through the desert, risking being attacked by
> coyotes, border police, crazy anti-immigrant vigilantes, and common
> thugs, only to enthusiastically deliver themselves into slavery?

What else is new? As long as it is the cool thing to do, people would
not really mind... :-)

It is interesting in this respect that emigration rarely concern the
really, really poor.

Usually it has to do with restless twenty or thirty-something young
males from frustrated semi-poor, half-westernised classes and
countries with routine access with satellite TV channels, who
sometimes put up a sum in hard currency that in their own country
would allow them to start some activity or get to college.

I suspect that starvation, slavery or unemployment tend to be a much
more concrete prospective in the favelas around the increasingly
fenced quarters of the western élites than in many "traditional"
societies, where a lower income pro capite exists but you are more
likely to eat your own food or to barter and the concept of
"employment" itself becomes very fuzzy.

--
Stefano Vaj