[ExI] Planetary defense

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri May 13 10:58:28 UTC 2011

Keith Henson wrote:
>> I doubt any xrisk is going to be a simple task. Wars are likely among the
>> hardest, since they are motivated by pretty deep seated issues - not just
>> human emotions but economics, memetics and coordination issues.
>>

> See "Evolutionary Psychology, Memes and the Origin of War" for my view
> on the order in which these are evoked and why.
>
> I have been talking about the evolutionary origin of wars for a long
> time, http://lists.extropy.org/pipermail/extropy-chat/2009-July/052083.html
> and there has been virtually no feedback.  I can't decide if it is
> just too obvious, or way to deep for this mailing list.

No idea, but I think evo psych might not be *enough* as an explanation
or as a tool for fixing the problem. I have no doubt it might help us
understand the original underpinnings of human aggressive behavior, but
there are plenty of other factors - human cultural patterns are good at
hijacking or exapting evolved affordances(just consider ideological
warfare), the economics of warfare has changed several times (warfare
for material resources has mutated into 'politics by other means' and
security policy) and the technological changes make various factors very
different (distance warfare, automated warfare, lethalty, deterrence
game theory etc).

That you might be able to trace plenty of these factors causally back to
some old fitness drivers doen't necessarily help understanding them
practically. An evopsych analysis of the financial crisis is unlikely to
give us a good recipe for avoiding the next one, while an analysis on
the principal-agent problem level might be much more helpful.

Some basics are however likely true. If the future looks bright, then
you want to invest your resources rather than compete for scarce
resources. So increasing growth potential is a good thing. Institutions
allowing conflicts to bleed off in nonviolent ways (lawsuits,
arbitration) or make the cost/benefit ratio of violence different
(social trust, enforcement of laws, economic incentives for cooperation)
also help.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute