[ExI] Farmville for real

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue May 17 06:36:58 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Farmville for real
>
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>
>>...It would probably be very expensive, but do you think it would be more
> expensive than organic? (Real question)  -Kelly
>
> No one knows, Kelly.  All-legal produce has never been attempted.

I think this is probably an overstatement. I'm sure many of the small
scale types that show up at my local farmer's market are all legal.
Documenting that they are all legal might be a challenge, but I'm sure
many of them are. Once you get up into the Archer Daniel's Midland
scale, you're absolutely right, no way to prove that scale of
production is all legal.

> Regarding all-legal produce, it would probably be more expensive than
> organic, but it would be a better product, so it might depend on how you
> count it.

I think it would sell around here.

> My mother, being a licensed CPA, attempted to account properly and pay all
> the taxes on her farm labor.  When she filled out all the forms and
> submitted them to the appropriate authorities  according the rules, they had
> no idea what to do with them.  They had never had anyone actually attempt to
> try to follow all the farm labor tax rules.  The agency had never seen it!
>
> I... am... not... kidding...

That is a very sad story.

-Kelly