[ExI] From Friendly AI to Loving AI

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri May 20 02:23:33 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
>> 2011/5/6 spike<spike66 at att.net>:

Kelly do take care with attributions.  I didn't write any of that which as
under my name.  No harm done in this case.  {8-]

>...Religions view themselves as a path to self control...

Ja, although where I was going with this to start with is I know of a class
of religions which hold the notion of sola scriptura, or scripture only,
which means they are not allowed to add any thought or concept to the sum
total of that which is literally and specifically recorded in the sacred
texts.  An example of how that is used is seen in the Seventh Day Adventists
going to church on Saturday.  In the old testament, they did it that way.
The new testament does not specifically say the sacred day was changed to
Sunday.  Therefore by sola scriptura, Saturday is still the day.

If the sola scriptura concept is followed to its logical conclusion, there
are no specific rules against the solitary vice, and actually none against
premarital sex, so long as the couple are each other's concubines.  The
bible doesn't exactly specify how that arrangement comes to be, but clearly
it is in there and is specifically differentiated from and subordinate to
marriage.  There is nothing, not one word, that says it is wrong, so
apparently it is OK.

If you know of a young couple who are shacking up and they want to go to
church, tell them they can go to the SDA.

>...Self-control is almost certainly crucial to the success of ANY sentient
being with power...

Agreed, but:

>... With great power comes great responsibility... (isn't that in
Matthew??? ;-)  -Kelly

No, sure isn't.  For a strict sola scriptura religion, what is not in the
bible is as important as what is in there.  The comment about power and
responsibility is from Voltaire, but the fact that it isn't in Matthew or
anywhere else in scripture means that notion becomes part of the bathwater
that gets thrown out along with the baby.

Spike