[ExI] Usages of the term libertarianism

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:05:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 8:35 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>
>> To respond to your point more directly, the easily-led will not be
>> quite so easily led when there is more intelligence in the world, I
>> hope. If everyone had an intelligent agent to look after their
>> political interests, that would be an interesting game changer.
>
> That would be Iain Banks's Culture, with a bit of luck. Post-scarcity
> anarcho-communism, with Minds to watch the wolves. Alternatively,
> post-Nineteen Eighty-Four hell.

Any particular book that would be a good place to start? He's written
quite a few.

When I mention an intelligent agent to look after my political views,
I'm thinking of an AGI that "thinks like I do", but with the time to
listen to CSPAN, read all the political blogs, keep up on the news of
the day, listen to all the talk radio from all sides, read what each
of my elected representatives has to say, and all the candidates in a
political season, maybe even have a one on one conversation with their
avatar directly, etc. It fits with my view of a multi-threaded life...
that is the ability to do more than one thing at a time. To me that is
one god-like thing that the future should enable, the ability to do as
many things at once as you have the resources to compute and then put
it all together at the end.

If you think of the Christian God, listening to everyone's prayers at
the same time, that is the model I have for the politician of the
future. Able to have that one on one connection with every constituent
on a frequent basis. I think it's a pretty powerful idea...

it might even lead to the ability to have a true democracy, where
every single person in society has enough computational resources to
understand every issue to a greater degree than is even possible for
our current representatives. This could lead to the greatest
government ever. At that point, you're way beyond liberal,
conservative or libertarian... you're to intelligent government for
and by the people, who are all educated to a degree that is not now
possible. There still might be a few who are not interested in
politics, but if it doesn't cut into your paragliding time, or your
ability to acquire resources, perhaps everyone will be interested at
some level.

-Kelly