[ExI] Iain M Banks' Culture Novels [WAS Re: Usages of the term libertarianism]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sun May 22 02:19:45 UTC 2011

Damien Sullivan wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 05:05:02PM -0400, Richard Loosemore wrote:
>
>>> (Controlled, enslaved) technology
>> ... which actually makes me think you may not have read the novels,
>> because the Minds are *anything* but controlled and enslaved!  They
>> keep each other in line, but within extremely broad limits.  In
>> fact, I can hardly imagine a less controlled and enslaved
>> technology.
>
> To play devil's advocate: the whole notion of enslavement gets murky
> when you can control personality and desire.

This is a very important point, and a distinction that I really wish
were emphasized more often.

My own position is that this question -- whether someone would be a
slave if they were genuinely and completely designed to want to do
something that happened to benefit the designer -- is one of the easier
philosphical questions to answer.  And the answer is "no".  Only if
there were some sense in which the creature "really" wanted to do
something else, so that they exzperienced any measure of frustration and
unfulfillment, would there be a slavery situation.

The example I have often used is the dung beetle.  By no stretch of the
imagination would be a "liberation" of the dung beetle if we genetically
altered it so that it enjoyed gourmet human food, rather than shit.  It
would be meaningless to say that it was a slave.

And if we designed a type of creature that liked eating something that
we find repulsive (say, a creature that liked to browse on human garbage
dumps all the time, slowly digesting their contents and turning it into
something useful), it would be as meaningless to say that the creature
was a slave because we had made it that way.

What we are designed to want, is what we want.

So I would conclude that, with a few minor exceptions, the Culture Minds
are not slaves.

Richard Loosemore