[ExI] Small scale solar payback time (was Re: Planetary defense)

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Sun May 22 12:41:07 UTC 2011

On 22 May, 2011, at 4:12, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 02:03:43PM -0700, Damien Sullivan wrote:
>
>> What does order of magnitude improvement mean for solar panels?  You can
>> get 15% efficiency today, there's not an order of magnitude of
>
> You can order 17% mono-Si immediately, up to 22% which is not
> yet readily available, and for research-grade (most of them
> concentrated) they're rapidly approaching 50%
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/PVeff%28rev110408U%29.jpg
>
> So there's no orders of magnitude available, unless they're binary,
> then you'd get a couple at best. Longevity is up to 40+ years by now,
> so the only other improvements is price, material availability, and
> EROEI.

You're presuming that efficiency is the best metric for solar panels. I would suggest that measurements such as $/watt installed, $/watt amortized and DCF payback time, which are much more relevant to "real world" solar rollout and order of magnitude improvements in those numbers would be profound.

Brent Neal, Ph.D.
http://brentn.freeshell.org
<brentn at freeshell.org>