[ExI] Hydraulic Fracturing [WAS Re: Cephalization, proles...]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Mon May 23 15:54:07 UTC 2011

Adrian Tymes wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> Mirco Romanato wrote:
>>> Why not outlaw these (if they are not already) instead to outlaw
>>> something far related?
>> That is what we are trying to DO!
>>
>> But you have to look at the technology:  if we outlawed these things they
>> woudl not be able to use hydraulic fracturing at all, because they would
>> then be taking whole rivers, filling them with (undisclosed) poisons,
>> sending them underground to do the fracking, then bringing them up and
>> ...... putting them WHERE?
>>
>> There would be no place for them to go.  They could not store them in
>> plastic bottles.
>>
>> So, outlawing these problems is, ipso facto, equivalent to outlawing
>> fracking itself.
>
> And thus you see the problem.  The quick, easy, and reliable
> means to prevent those other, somewhat inevitable results is
> simply to outlaw fracking.  If they are inevitable, and to outlaw the
> one is to outlaw the other, then why object to outlawing the other
> if the one should be prevented by law?
>
> But that assumes they are indeed inevitable.  Could the water not
> be purified after?  Could the poisons not be recycled?  If the
> answer is, "Yes, but it wouldn't be profitable," then the technology
> needs to be refined until this is profitable, before fracking may be
> allowed.  Otherwise, it devolves into letting someone poison
> rivers and pay nothing for doing so.

Indeed.  Part of the problem is that the companies refuse to disclose
what chemicals they are actually putting in the water that they send down.

So, when you ask "Could the poisons not be recycled?", the answer is
that nobody really knows ... but probably not.

What we seem to know at the moment is that (a) The poisons cannot be
removed without making the product extremely expensive (if they can be
removed at all), and the quantities of water involved are so huge that
they would impact the supply of water for farming and drinking.

Richard Loosemore