[ExI] Power satellites microwave power transmission

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu May 26 15:48:57 UTC 2011

>... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] Power satellites microwave power transmission

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 03:01:07AM -0700, spike wrote:

>> Now if the subject is an MBrain, we need to think carefully where the
waste heat goes, but not for solar power.

>You probably want to have at least a couple of absorption and reradiation
steps in order not to waste anything...
It would be interesting to see how much orbiting material you'll need to
make it work, and what the total emission spectrum would be. It would
definitely look quite strange, but unfortunately quite dim. -- Eugen* Leitl

Hmmm ja, but every MBrain would look different.  It's final configuration
would depend on the ratio of available metals, and to some extent the total
spectrum coming off the star.  We can estimate the emitted spectrum knowing
that momentum is conserved.  So knowing our sun's spectrum, we can integrate
across frequency calculate the cumulative momentum of all those stars,
estimate a final frequency spectrum across longer wavelengths and distribute
all the momentum across that colder spectrum.

An MBrained star would be a really odd looking object.  If we saw one, we
would know something is up with it bigtime.