[ExI] Brain emulation, regions and AGI [WAS Re: Kelly's future]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri May 27 13:18:27 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
> Sorry, I guess I got confused and used the wrong word. Thanks for the
> correction. I suppose the right word is brain region. Each region of
> the brain that has a modular function. They are like suborgans that
> make up the overall brain. I understand that there are a few dozens of
> such regions. Is there a better word for these brain regions?

There is actually no true modularity, there are just regions with
apparent specializations, which are more or less definable or distinct,
depending on the case.  The terms used are also not uniform:  many are
just "areas" (as in Brodmann areas), but that implies cortex, whereas
some significant chunks or sub-cortical.

My own, more general answer to the issue of AGI via brain emulation is
that, as you are suggesting, the modeling of the human mind/brain is
likely to be the first successful AGI, but this is unlikely to be whole
brain emulation in the sense of a low-level neuron-by-neuron copying.

Richard Loosemore