[ExI] Kelly's future

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri May 27 16:19:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

snip

> At 50 EUR/MWh a MW will only set you back by 1200 EUR/day.
> So more than 10 MW for a human equivalent will be probably
> exceptional, unless power gets a lot more cheaper.

If we can get the cost to GEO down to $100/kg at 5 kg/kW, the parts
and labor cost no more than $900 and the rectenna $200/kW then the
levelized capital cost would be from 15.3 to 27.8 depending on the
discount rate with the lower being at 5% and the higher being at 15%

It's hard to see why O&M should be as high as 1 percent of investment
per year, but using that, $2 a MWh. No charge for fuel and same as
coal for transmission gives a levelized cost of space based solar
power of $18 to $31 per MWh. Or 1.8 cents per kWh to 3.1 cents per
kWh.

At worst, that's less than 1/3rd of the cost of power from coal and
under half the of the least expensive power from gas.

Aren't numbers fun?