[ExI] Future Movie Quality Benchmarks?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at canonizer.com
Mon May 30 20:18:07 UTC 2011

Tranhumanites,

I'm not to worried about addiction.  Especially in the long term.  The
brain is quite protected with safeguards, and no matter how fun it is,
eventually you'll tire of the experience.  Unless, you are modifying
things with drugs or something.

I also originally asked for when people think we'll start interfacing
directly with  neurons.  I'm sure we are making much more progress in
this area than most of us hear about.  You occasionally hear rumors of
artificial cochleas, artificial retinas, and they occasionally  the
direct stimulation of the primary visual cortex.  (Which last I heard
only produces 'sprites' or sparks of white light that can be organized
in a very low resolution 2D image.)

How much progress are we making with this?  How do you follow this field
better, and how much longer before direct neural stimulation becomes
common place, or something someone that wasn't blind, for example, might
be interested in?

And of course, soon after you start hacking the brain, then you get true
free will, or the ability to choose what you want to want.  In other
words, if you need to take out the garbage, and that is what you really
want to do (rather than being addicted to some game), you'll be able to
reprogram your brain so that taking out the trash will be much more than
organismic, or more fun than any game could be without such
modifications.  I get so tired of fighting and resisting what my
primitive creator wanted me to do, and instead attempting to do more of
what I want to do.  I'm looking forward to this kind of complete free
will, where I can chose what I want, when I want it, more than anything.

Brent