[ExI] Social right to have a living

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Tue May 31 13:36:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 01:57:03PM +0200, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> > Risk aversion keeps a lot of people poor.
>
> As it keeps them alive, or much less poor than they could be. OTOH,
> once in a while somebody amongst those who are risk-propense succeeds
> to an extent which he would be otherwise barred from.

Newly rich people being risk-propense does not mean that being
risk-propense is a good individual gamble for becoming risk.
Selection/survivor effects and all.

> Moreover, a declining social mobility, which is the invariable mark of
> decadence, is in Europe quite certainly in place. Even in Russia.

By everything I've seen, Europe is doing better in social mobility than
the US is.  Or at least parts of Europe are.  More small businesses and
enterpreneurship too.

-xx- Damien X-)