[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Nov 4 11:45:02 UTC 2011

>...On Behalf Of The Avantguardian
>...Subject: [ExI] Weird new way to do physics

>...Whilest pondering the uselessness of dimensionless Planck units, I hit upon an idea that makes them far less cumbersome to work with. In the process, I realized that my technique should make physics accessible to computers in a way they never were before. Yes, computers have been used to do physics calculations before but what I am trying to do is get my humble PC to discover novel laws of nature. In other words, as I write this, my computer is running a brute-force search algorithm in Python to discover novel mathematical relationships between length, time, mass, charge, and temperature i.e. the fundamental dimensions of physics within certain boundaries...Stuart LaForge

Whilest?

{8-]

Avant, I am a big Shakespeare fan too.  (8^D

In college some of us worked on a unit system that was based only on the known fundamental quantities, which is sorta what you are proposing I think.  We expressed all velocities in terms of c for instance, distances in terms of Planck lengths, time in chronons, energy in h*nu, momentum in h/c/lambda and so forth.  That exercise does produce insights.  We didn't think of having the computer do it however.  Our computers in those days only ran at about 17 Hz.  It was before all the cool prefixes were invented, all those kilos and megas and things.  Had we waited for them to find anything whilest we did our homework, we would still be waiting.

It is a fun worthwhile exercise however.  We found two different ways to derive e=mc^2.