[ExI] Old Chemically Mature Galaxies and Fermi Paradox

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Nov 5 09:07:46 UTC 2011

Dan wrote:
> Maybe the age estimates are wrong, but it still seems like that
> wouldn't explain nearer ones being less "chemically mature." Is your
> suggestion that there's a process that resets the clock here -- and,
> further, that this process is technological?

One reset mechanism that was suggested by Milan Circovic (and then, with
some minor input from me, developed by him into a paper with Robert
Bradbury) is that gamma ray bursts acts as the reset. The data suggests
that gamma ray bursts were much more common in the past, and it is not
hard to imagine that every time one hits a biosphere it slides back to a
simple stage. If there is a number of "ladders" to climb and the GRBs
act as "snakes", then a model with exponentially declining GRBs and lots
of biospheres has a decently sharp transition from simple to complex
biospheres. I don't think this is a good enough reset mechanism to
answer the Fermi question, but it might be part of an answer.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute