[ExI] Weird new way to do physics

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:46:14 UTC 2011

On 6 November 2011 23:45, Tomasz Rola <rtomek at ceti.pl> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Nov 2011, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> > What's wrong with dear, old Assembly for performance-sensitive tasks?
>
> Nothing is wrong with that. Except few things.
>
> One is, there is no point to do trivial things faster.

Yes, it was to some extent a tongue-in-cheek remark and an emoticon remains
for once in my pen.

In principle what you say corresponds to my own ideas with regard to energy
saving, or taylorism in work organisation: nothing wrong in efficiency, but
the dividends are asymptotical at best, and what really matters at the end
of the day is more the available power than squeezing the last drop of
juice out of it.

OTOH, whenever we are faced with endless repetitions of relatively simple
tasks, small increases in efficiencies may indeed make a difference and pay
for themselves. And, yes, a cultural loss in our ability to deal with low
level aspects of such tasks may be considered as a decadent trait. At least
until machines themselves will be able to outperform us in such dealing.

--
Stefano Vaj