[ExI] New social network?

Dave Sill sparge at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 19:30:32 UTC 2011

2011/11/11 <ablainey at aol.com>

> Anyway, not just shameless advertising of a new site. I wonder what the
> take is on the future of social networking?

I don't think it's going away. :-) I bailed on Facebook years ago because I
found the interface and privacy issues too frustrating. These days I'm
doing Google+ and Twitter, though I use the latter more a source of
information than a channel for publishing my own info.

The problem with any any new social networking mechanism is reaching a
critical mass. You can set up the niftiest site in the world, but
attracting enough people away from Facebook to make it viable is tough.
Google+ is better than Facebook, IMO, but even with Google behind it, it's
not guaranteed to catch on sufficiently.

> I have LinkedIn, FB and the usual suspects. I dont think any of them
> offers what I want or really need. To be honest Im not sure what I really
> need if anything at all?

Nobody really *needs* social networking, but it does offer value to its
users.

>  Will the trend be to step back to simpler times? Or continue towards
> sites that want to control ever aspect of our lives?

I think that's a false dichotomy, but I don't see a big future for "simpler
times".

-Dave