[ExI] New social network?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 20:35:42 UTC 2011

2011/11/11  <ablainey at aol.com>:
> <<<<<DeLurk>>>>
> Can't remember my last post??

Not that I can recall...

> Anyway, not just shameless advertising of a new site. I wonder what the take
> is on the future of social networking? I have LinkedIn, FB and the usual
> suspects. I dont think any of them offers what I want or really need. To be
> honest Im not sure what I really need if anything at all?
> Will the trend be to step back to simpler times? Or continue towards sites
> that want to control ever aspect of our lives?

My best experiences in social networking have been on the numerous
email lists I've participated in over the years, including now this
one. I don't see the point of FaceBook, though I've tried a bit. I
don't get MySpace either. It's all so silly to me to have a
communication pattern that doesn't come to you, where you have to go
to it. I like email because it's there when I want it. I suppose if
you use FB all day every day, it's a bit like an advanced email
program, with a directory. But finding groups of like minded people on
mailing lists seems like a really good way to go. At least it's worked
for me.

I do use linked in, but only as a way to keep track of the current
email addresses of my friends. I hate loosing track of people that
change their email address, and linked in provides a solution to that
limited problem that I can appreciate.

But don't ask me, I thought HTTP was a dumb idea when I first saw it.
I changed my mind about that eventually... but still haven't changed
my mind about FB.

-Kelly