[ExI] Best and brightest

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Nov 13 04:48:41 UTC 2011

Generally Europeans tend to be pretty mobile, even moreso if highly
educated, while Americans tend to stay put in their country. This also
leads to a clustering in popular countries like the UK, as well as
formation of clusters as experts repatriate from periods abroad.

http://www.justlanded.com/english/Common/Footer/Expatriates/Expatriate-statistics-and-characteristics
http://www.parliament.uk/documents/post/postpn309.pdf
http://www.cap-lmu.de/fgz/statistics/brain-drain.php

While the US still has a pretty big draw on highly educated or ambitious
Europeans, the draw has been noticeably reduced in recent years. Some of
it is due to changed perceptions, some of it due to harder immigration
rules.

A highly mobile workforce of best and brightest and a globalized world
means that they can vote with their feet. If a country doesn't provide
them with an environment that suits them - politically, economically,
culturally, whatever - they move. I know at least three or four
world-class scientists here in Oxford who explicitly say they left the
US because they can't stand the current political climate. Maybe there
is an equivalent number over there who were drawn by it, but I doubt it.

If one believes the importance of star scientists in creating successful
research and technology
http://researchlibartssci.blog.asu.edu/files/2007/10/w13547.pdf
then the above might be cause for serious concern. There are plenty of
people concerned about it already:
http://www.voanews.com/english/news/economy-and-business/US-Trying-to-Stop-Reverse-Brain-Drain-131899558.html
http://www.soc.duke.edu/globalengineering/pdfs/media/losingtheworlds/nam_usexperiencing.pdf
http://www.economist.com/node/13234953

Dennis May wrote:

> The funniest thing that came up
> was the difference in how celebrities behave in Europe versus the United
> States.

Differs quite a lot between cultures. Swedish celebrities and
politicians mix directly with people. This can probably be more ascribed
in differences in power distance than any American exceptionalism.

> Ths scale of things in the US is not well understood.  Her brother talked
> about flying to Miami and driving up to Missouri to see her that
> afternoon.
>
> I saw a similar reaction by Japanese engineers and a German friend years
> ago.  They don't seem to get the idea that some US states are as big
> as some countries they are used to.

Just as Americans often don't get the historical depth of many parts of
the world. There is a pub not far from my office that is more than three
times older than the US. Heck, my university is likely four times older
[*]. And elements of its function are still affected by events in this
history, events that are still remembered and referenced. There are very
foreign cultures just a few centuries back, still very visible and
sometimes relevant. And yet this is the barely civilized northwestern
fringe of Europe, while the historical depth is several millennia larger
in the southeast.

[*] Oxford University, to its embarassment, does not know how old it is.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about_the_university/introducing_oxford/a_brief_history_of_the_university/index.html
Cambridge University got founded 1209 by scholars fleeing hostile
townspeople in Oxford, so at least they have a clear founding date. But
people here of course poke fun at how cowardly they were, while they
bring up that they still feel unfairly persecuted by Prince John (yeah,
of Robin Hood fame. He and his brother Richard Lionheart were locals -
they were born in the same block I lived in for my first few years in
town...).

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute